I started my process by printing out some different views of the space I created on Sketchup. Then I overlaid tracing paper and noted some things about the space. I tried to make note of all the different situations in the room; who would pass through, where certain things are located, if things are in the way of certain paths, how different areas were being used, etc. In this frame I decided to incorporate a collaborative area into the space. I pushed some of the desks back to accommodate this, and considered other possible changes to the space, noting the ample wall space, the projector, and the moving walls.
I tried to consider the possible changes of the projector and the sliding walls. From this exploration I started thinking about light, temperature control, traffic flow, and other things.
When analyzing a possible social environment for collaborative projects, I thought the incorporation of an interactive wall would be useful. I then started thinking about how to connect these physical items with the Smartthings tool on someone’s phone or computer.
I think these explorations were really useful in terms of trying to understand the space and what changes or improvements could be made. I am still unclear as to how these changes could be illustrated in a narrative; I don’t have a clear idea about one single thing I want to make modifications to. I learned a lot about the Sketchup program while making my model and I think this tool will be very useful later.